Noting the extreme weirdness/creepiness of the second half of ep 6.10 we decided to focus on individual characters and discuss what strikes us as odd.
Holly Clearly was introduced in S3 and since then has been shown as a devoted Wiccan, performing rituals, casting spells, worshipping Goddess, following Wiccan concepts such as knowledge/respect of elements and nature’s cycles. For more info on Wicca and its pagan roots here:
Therefore it was intriguing to see Holly grinning and nodding in agreement in a church; fanning with a Jesus hand fan. In the following scene at the Bellefleur’s party, Holly enjoys herself with people. Meanwhile, Andy and his daughter remain at home watching TV. Here are just a few examples of Holly being a Wiccan:
- In S3E10 she says to Sam: “I give people remedies. I’m a Wiccan.”
- She is also a long time Wiccan because of issues with her mother: S3E11 Holly says to Arlene: “My mama hated me. Guess that’s what got me looking for the real thing.”
- She also carried “Wiccan first aid kit” as she told Sookie and Tara in S4E12
- She also swears to Goddess (S3E11, S4E5 with other witches, S4E6, S4E12, S5E12, S6E3)
- She believes in her Goddess as she talks to Tara in S4E10: “See, magic is about energy and intention…And I’m thinking, maybe the Goddess will know what we mean…Even if we say it wrong.” And she also makes a successful spell by praying her Goddess in S4E10 with Tara.
Good catch, Mametupa. While being Wiccan should not preclude her from attending a meeting held in a Christian church (Holly’s always seemed the tolerant type), she’s seemed a bit TOO eager to embrace Bill’s agenda all season. If season 7 will deal with issues of church and state—and show Bon Temps suffering under a kind of “benevolent” theocracy—then showing her going to the meeting and fanning herself with a Jesus fan should not be ignored. It’s also interesting that she’s sitting next to Adilyn at the meeting, but Andy is conspicuously missing. We saw that Andy was uninterested in Sam’s scheme to save the town. Will Holly be receptive to it? That will obviously drive a wedge between them.
Where’s Jason Stackhouse
…I study him like I was writing a thesis on slim blond men.